Counting Cucurbits Before They Hatch

I commented earlier that this year I cleaned off my compost area and stuck in some squash and melon starts.  I didn’t start the seeds until the second week of June, but as you can see from the first picture, the plants are doing quite well.

For a while I was worried that I was getting all foliage and no fruit.  That is not the case.

I counted well over a dozen relatively large squash and pumpkins hiding under the leaves and several are very close to maturity.  I also have several smaller melons and butternut type squash budding out on the trellised vines that you can see in the back of the first picture.

Taking inventory and taking these pictures was a daunting task as the almost tropical rains of the last couple weeks have caused the mosquito population to explode.  I truly had to give blood to get these pictures.  On top of that the high humidity kept my lens, LCD screen, and view finder fogged up.

I know you can’t count on anything until it’s off the vine and into the house, but the plants are healthy and the fruit is close to becoming a reality.  We’ve already been eating lots of summer crookneck and zucchini that are performing extremely well in one of my beds.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.