Sweet Potato Peanut Stew With Herbed Dumplings

Sweet Potato Peanut Dumpling Stew

Sweet Potato Peanut Dumpling Stew

Noel harvested almost 80 pounds of sweet potatoes last month – another record crop for us from 18 starts.  And guess what?  We’re still eating sweet potatoes from last year’s harvest.

I haven’t been cooking them often enough so we’re scrambling to find new ways to serve them – though you just can’t beat them simply baked and buttered.

Here’s an adaptation of a recipe I must have found online a while ago, though I don’t know who authored it.  I’ve already changed some of the vegetables to use up what I had on hand.  As long as you use the same basic liquid, spices and herbs it should turn out delicious.  The leftovers were also wonderful.

Sweet Potato Peanut Stew With Herbed Dumplings Recipe

Stew

1-2 T. extra virgin Olive Oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cups peeled and chopped (3/4” Cubes) sweet potatoes

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 cups chopped tomatoes

4 cups veggie broth

½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 T. Tamari Soy Sauce

3 T. Peanut Butter

2 tsp. curry powder

Salt to taste

1 cup peas

Sauté onions and red peppers in olive oil for a couple of minutes over medium heat.  Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.

Add broth, tomatoes, soy sauce, cilantro, peanut butter and curry powder.  Simmer for 15 minutes, add peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Dumplings

1 ¼ cups soft whole wheat pastry flour

2 T. minced chives, green onions or parsley

2 tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. salt

2 T. cold butter

½ cup milk or soy milk

1 large egg

Combine flour, herbs, baking powder and salt in large bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender or pulse in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Beat milk and egg together in a small bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is combined.

Drop heaping tablespoons of the dumpling mixture onto the top of the bubbling stew.  Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 10 minutes.  Test a dumpling and cook a little longer if necessary.  Enjoy!

Stew in the Bowl

Stew in the Bowl

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “Sweet Potato Peanut Stew With Herbed Dumplings”

1. Sue Tomaszewski says:

Please can I have some now??????

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

Sue

2. Chris McDiarmid says:

Your food photos always look mouth watering!

3. Delisa says:

I must know how you produced 80# of sweet potatoes! In Wisconsin?! And how did you keep last year’s harvest til now? What is your curing process? Have you blogged about this topic?

I was thankful that my own sweet potato harvest was tiny as I tried to cure them for 10 days at 80 degrees and high humidity…. in our shower with vaporizers and space heaters!

4. Noel says:

Our success with sweet potatoes comes partly from growing them under a sheet of black plastic. It acts as a solar collector and heats the soil significantly early in the season. Here is a link to a post about it: http://blog.cobrahead.com/2012/10/03/best-sweet-potato-harvest-ever/

Curing and storing sweet potatoes is easy. Dry them out at room temperature for about two weeks, wrap the larger roots in individual sheets of newspaper and store them in a cool, but not cold area. Here’s a link: http://blog.cobrahead.com/2012/10/10/year-old-sweet-potatoes-for-dinner/

5. Delisa says:

Thank you for the info! I grew mine under clear plastic – was told that clear (rather than black) would let more solar energy to the soil, yet trap the heat in. I suspect my harvest was impacted more by RABBITS than anything. They mowed my vines more than once! I will definitely use your easy curing method next year. I created a sauna in my house for a week for those silly tubers!

6. Noel says:

Rabbits, deer, and woodchucks all love sweet potato leaves. We had a bad harvest one year after deer ate away a lot of vines. Lots of foliage is necessary for good root growth. Now I cover the bed with with agricultural fabric. It is an easy fix and it has worked quite well to keep the critters from eating the leaves.